Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Lightning storm over Manhattan

For the past week or so we've been treated to late afternoon and evening thunderstorms with dramatic cloud formations often accompanied by lightning strikes. Last night we had a dry storm with lightning. I set up my X-Pro2 on a tripod to try to capture some of the strikes. With an aperture of f/11 and ISO 200 (This is when I wish Fuji had a lower 100 as the base ISO.) I ended up with a shutter speed of 4 seconds. When photographing lightning you need to keep snapping away with a slow shutter speed. In this case, I was using a 4 second exposure. I usually time my exposures by waiting several seconds after a strike and then opening the shutter for a time exposure. Then you've got to be lucky.


1 comment :

  1. Hi Tom:

    Thank you for sharing your wonderful images and technical information with us. One quick question: doesn't the X-Pro2 have an extended ISO of 100? Is this not as desirable as a base ISO of 100? Please explain.

    Thank you and have a wonderful day!

    Hank

    ReplyDelete